History of Carlinghow Mills
Carlinghow Mills was estasblished in 1826 as a private woollen mill by a family of prominent manufacturers. In 1834 the mills were used for scribbling, carding, spinning and fulling but not weaving. The earliest surviving building, the main mill of 1831, was steam-powered from a central engine house and is of fireproof construction with cast-iron columns, beams and joists, stone-flagged floors and roof with arched cast-iron trusses. Further multi-storeyed mills were built c1860 and c1875 with cottage to the front of Bradford Road being built at the entrance in 1877. The site developed into a fully integrated woollen mill with the addition of weaving sheds c1875; a further mill was built in 1919.
In the 20th century the site was converted and used for rag sorting and storage by the firm of J R Burrows (Batley) LLP, one of largest firms engaged in supplying the local shoddy and mungo industry.
Today whilst the site remains owned by J R Burrows (Batley) LLP, this is now a property management company. The site offers a range of Offices, Storage & Warehouse Space, Industrial Workshops, Showroom and Studio Space ranging from 200 – 6,000 square feet. It is currently home to a wide range of businesses including Bluebeck Motors, Bristol Street Versa Mobility Services, Ghari Carpets, Pro Diesels Car Maintenance & Repair, Proparts Workwear, Planet Dance UK Limited, Trident Fork Trucks Limited and The Yorkshire Fabric Shop.